PLEASE APPLY FOR OPPORTUNITIES here
Global Local Gourmet offers one of a kind experiential epicurean events. Our chefs are connoisseurs of all things cuisine and teach customized hands-on, demonstration cooking experiences, and culinary tours to the novice cook and professional gourmand. Our menus support local, sustainable, and regional cuisine with an international sensibility. Classic techniques, chef’s secrets, global wellness, cultural etiquette, the art of entertaining and homesteading, are shared in our unique, informative, and palate-pleasing programs. We empower people through culinary education. Creating interactive programs and events around an appreciation of delicious food and lifestyle, we inspire sustainable communities through the pursuit of epicurean pleasure. With our partners, our goal is to show the interconnectedness of our world through food and culture while promoting business practices that respect the environment and each other.
To propose a class, please go here.
ASSISTANT AFTER SCHOOL COOKING ENRICHMENT DIRECTOR
Global Local Gourmet’s Kid’s Culinary Workshop, headquartered in Hamden, Ct, offers nutrition and healthy cooking and after-school programs for kids ages 5 to 13. Our program empowers kids to make healthy choices setting them up for a lifetime of wellness. They also learn to incorporate healthy cooking methods that will teach them important lifetime skills with gardening, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math), and wellness taught interdisciplinarily.
Our mission is to enhance the health and well-being of children and families today by providing youth and their caregivers with the skills and knowledge of seasonal, sustainable foods in a fun, holistic and engaging manner. Global Local Gourmet ’s Kitchen Oasis is an organic garden and instructional kitchen that uses hands-on cooking, gardening, and science education to teach students and families about nutrition and environmental stewardship.
Global Local Gourmet’s Kid’s Kitchen Oasis is seeking an energetic, captivating, and eager Assistant After School/Camp Director for our 2017 – 2018 Food, Garden, and STEAM After School Enrichment and Summer Camp. Each program offers kids ages 5-13 the opportunity to explore a seed-to-table odyssey in food through cooking, gardening, field trips, tastings, wellness activities, and labs.
•Facilitate a wide range of lessons, activities, field trips in healthy cooking, gardening, STEAM, sustainable food systems, composting, nutrition, and more.
• Lead and supervise a team of chef educators/counselors/ and or volunteers/interns to create a distinct, hands-on learning experience.
• Nurture a safe, fun, and supportive environment for students and campers.
•Establish that students and campers are prepared and ready for the day’s activities.
• Attend and oversee all field trips and activities, making sure that students and campers are accounted for at all times.
• Organize games and activities for students and campers during downtime or travel.
• Help with pick up/drop off of students and campers and assist with early + aftercare.
• Conduct daily inspections of the kitchen facility to ensure safety & cleanliness.
• Other responsibilities, as needed.
• Possess a love for working with children, with 1-2 years of demonstrated teaching experience.
• Passionate and knowledgeable about healthy eating, cooking, food, farming, STEAM, and community wellness.
• Superb and inviting communication and classroom management skills.
• Highly organized, responsible, dependable, flexible, patient and detail-oriented.
•Team player and problem solver with strong work ethic, high energy, and a good sense of humor.
• The desire to create positive change in our food systems and community health by inspiring youth and families to become responsible eaters and future change makers.
• CPR/First Aid Certification preferred.
Time commitment + Location: This position is available immediately at our Hamden location approximately 30 hours per week for the After School Enrichment Program and 40 hours per week during the camp season. The Enrichment Program operates Tuesday – Wednesday 3:45 PM – 6:45 PM with two hour and a half sessions. The After School Enrichment Assistant Program Director is expected to be in the kitchen for setting up from 3:00 – 7:30 each day. Camp operates between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm, Monday through Friday. All employees are required to attend Staff Orientation and Training prior to employment to understand the program philosophy in regard to teaching and cooking. Employees have the opportunity to grow with other facets of the Kid’s Kitchen Oasis food education program.
Kitchen Oasis works in partnership with recreational teachers to offer a wide variety of Special Interest Programs for youth and adults of all ages and interests. Some examples of recreational programs and courses offered include cooking, gardening, music, art, dance, fitness, enrichment, camps, sports, and technology. Please see the information below to learn more about proposing a Special Interest class or program.
To submit a class, simply fill out the form below.
The Recreational Chef Instructor will be responsible for leading hands on recreational cooking and baking classes in Kitchen Oasis proprietary class lessons. Upon hire, the Chef may have opportunities to teach specialty Recreational classes based on their qualifications, experience, and interest.
SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Lead recreational classes in conformity with Kitchen Oasis cooking lesson plans and or be prepared to create and lead courses based on your discipline. We are looking for cooking, gardening, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) Teachers, wellness, yoga, homestead arts, wine making, cheese making, beer making, sewing, knitting, and any subject that encompasses all that is epicurean and relates to food from seed to waste.
• Demonstrates techniques and concepts as required by the curriculum and/or class proposed.
• Delivers clear, concise and organized facilitation as required by the curriculum and/or the class proposed. Be able to teach in an experiential manner employing popular education, progressive, and interactive approaches to pedagogy.
• Maintains an uplifting and focused learning environment during class.
• Assures that classes are conducted in a manner that complies with principles of food safety and sanitation.
• Facilitates and hosts students in a way that gives them confidence, empowerment, and joy for cooking, gardening, homesteading, art and/or whatever class you have proposed to teach.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
• Formal teaching experience and/or teaching degree
• Culinary diploma and/or some form of formal Culinary Education (what classes have you taken to hone your craft)
• Culinary & Pastry background preferred with Renaissance people making the top of the list (Are you a jack of all trades and versatile). We love to work with people who can teach a variety of courses.
• Minimum of 3 – 5 years culinary experience or experience in your discipline you are applying to teach.
• The ability to teach to both kids and adults although you can specialize in on age group.
• Flexible schedule (weekends and evenings) to accommodate Kitchen Oasis class schedules.
• Fine Dining and previous teaching experience preferred.
• Proficient in Microsoft suite of products including Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, and Excel;
• Must possess a strong sense of urgency and attention to detail.
• Excellent communication skills both written and verbal; strong presentation and interpersonal skills.
• Demonstrated ability to interact in a collaborative manner with other departments and teams.
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills required.
COOKING CLASS ASSISTANT VOLUNTEER
Calling All Food Enthusiasts! As a Cooking Class Assistant, you have a great opportunity to not only to meet and learn from some of the finest chefs and culinary instructors in the New England area but also gain practical experience and experience excellent food.
• Assist with food preparation prior to class, such as washing produce, chopping, etc; getting appropriate ingredients out and within reach for chef’s demo.
• Set tables, this includes linens, wine and water glasses, silverware, plates, centerpiece, filled pitchers of ice water.
• Before class, make sure dishwashers are empty and ready for reloading at end of class.
• Wipe down tables and chairs before each class.
• Set up coffee, water, tea. Get out the cd player or iPod dock.
• Closely observe class instruction, assisting the chef instructor when needed.
• Replenish water, coffee, tea as needed. Assist in plating and serving dishes.
• Assist in clean-up during and after class.
• Other miscellaneous duties as assigned by the Cooking Program Coordinator – very rare but you know, stuff happens… go to the store for a missing ingredient or make some extra copies of recipes.
Be comfortable in an active kitchen. Familiarize your self with the kitchen set up and correct operation of appliances. Staff or experienced volunteer will show you.
Be professional and quiet (as much as possible) when working with the chef. If assisting chef or dish washing is not needed at the time, stand to the side or the back and observe while taking pictures and video of our social media platforms.
• Long hair should be pulled back.
• Record your volunteer hours and get them signed off by the chef.
• Assistants arrive approximately 90 – 120 minutes before class. Commit to 1 shift every 2 months; approximately 5 hours each. Time flies and it is deliciously fun!
• Great opportunity to meet and learn from some of the finest chefs and culinary instructors in the New EnglEngland area also gain practical experience and taste excellent food.
• Choose your own work schedule based on your availability; classes are held primarily on Tuesday to Thursday afternoons and evenings with occasional weekend classes too.
• For every two classes, you volunteer you are eligible for 1 free class.
COOKING CLASS INTERN
Global Local Gourmet’s Kid’s Kitchen Oasis, headquartered in Hamden, Ct, offers nutrition and healthy cooking and after-school programs for kids ages 5 to 13. Our program empowers kids to make healthy choices setting them up for a lifetime of wellness. They also learn to incorporate healthy cooking methods that will teach them important lifetime skills with gardening, STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math), and wellness taught interdisciplinarily.
Our mission is to enhance the health and well-being of children and families today by providing youth and their caregivers with the skills and knowledge of seasonal, sustainable foods in a fun, holistic and engaging manner. Global Local Gourmet ’s Kitchen Oasis is an organic garden and instructional kitchen that uses hands-on cooking, gardening, and STEAM education to teach students and families about nutrition and environmental stewardship.
• Assist the Kid’s Kitchen Oasis Lead Teacher in running our after-school cooking classes. This includes teaching culinary skills, nutrition information, food literacy, and agricultural understanding, and the intersection of STEAM in all these themes in regard to research, lesson planning, editing and administrative help as it applies to course materials and pedagogy.
• Ensure all materials and ingredients are ready for class each week and assist in the
successful completion of recipes during class time.
• Ensure the health and safety of all the students in the program: good hygiene, food safety, and responsible use of knives.
Foster a collaborative learning environment for students to explore new cuisines, food literacy, and a deeper understanding of healthy food systems.
Facilitate cleaning after each class and close out the kitchen as per procedures.
• Demonstrated experience in teaching children, ages 4-13 and their adult caregivers
• Strong classroom management skills and understanding of student safety
• Dependable team player and problem solver
• Resourceful, dynamic, creative, patient and flexible
• Strong work ethic and a good sense of humor
• Excellent communication skills
• Passionate about creating healthy communities for a healthy planet through nutritious and seasonal meals
Start date: Position available September, with potential for growth with the company into winter and summer opportunities
Schedule: Approximately 15 hours – 20 hours per week, Monday – Friday 2 PM – 7 PM and occasional evening and/or weekends depending on your schedule and availability